Natural Remedies > Mercurius Vivus Fact Sheet
Otherwise known as quicksilver, mercury has been used in many civilisations for healing and medicine. Consuming certain mercury compounds can result in excessive perspiration and saliva and was thought in ancient times to rid the body of toxins.
Undiluted mercury is toxic, however, and can result in poisoning. Symptoms may include nausea, inflammation of the digestive tract, and kidney failure.
Homoeopaths prescribe Mercurius Vivus for patients with symptoms of shaking, hot and cold sweats, and restlessness.
Mercurius Vivus was made as a remedy by recognizing the reactions of healthy individuals to undiluted doses. The changes in the individuals were recorded.
When a Homoeopath sees a patient with a set of similar symptoms to the recorded ones induced by sulphur, they then prescribe it in an extremely dilute form. In a highly diluted dosage, Mercurius Vivus can eliminate the symptoms that it creates when it is at full strength.
Professional advice is required for
each particular ailment and for dosages.